Sunday, July 10, 2005

Out of the mouths of babes:

This morning in Sunday School I only had 2 girls, so I do what I do when there are only a few of them: I took them to Burger King for breakfast. (We go to Starbucks sometimes, too, but that's a little rougher on my wallet.) So they're talking about boys (surprise), and I'm trying to tell them that "going out" with boys is a waste of time and they should wait until they're older, there are more important things than having a boyfriend, yada yada yada, and then I say, "Look at me: I'm 23, and I'm doing great alone, aren't I?" (Remember these girls are 12 and 13.) Then one of them (Hannah Mott, for you BBC folks who may know her) says, "You might look fine on the outside, but on the inside you are crying."

What in the world?? How do they come up with stuff like that?? I just cracked up because I didn't really know what else to do. And now I'm sitting here wondering if she views me as some pathetic shell of an individual because I'm not married, and if she really thinks I spend my time mourning my lack of a boyfriend/husband. That makes me sad to think about. I only have a few more weeks with these girls, and I just wonder if I've taught them anything at all. I want them to know they are beautiful, precious, and loved by God, and that this is worth more than a thousand boyfriends or Beja purses. I don't want them to do what I did and go through their teen years thinking that they are worthless and fat and ugly because they don't have a boyfriend. But I don't know if they've learned any of that. Maybe they have. I don't know. Maybe I'll never know. Maybe for our final class together I'll write them each a letter, so they can have a tangible reminder of all I want (and God wants) for them. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!