"You’ll never amount to anything.
Look at those thighs, that hair—
How will you ever attract a man that way?
And what about those droopy brown eyes?
Get some colored lenses; they’ll look much prettier.
Not to mention that complexion,
I’ve definitely seen better.
You might want to lay off the pizza and Coke;
It’s starting to show around your hips.
And girl, haven’t you been looking at the mags?
That shirt is SO last season, and
don’t get me started on those jeans.
You’d be better off going back to bed."
I stand there, dismayed and confused,
my thoughts and emotions at war.
Every day the same criticisms, the same harsh attacks.
Every day the gradual wearing away of my confidence
and the growth of my fears.
And every day a choice—a choice between
believing what the mirror so clearly says
or deciding for myself who I am.
But today—perhaps only today—
I smile at my reflection,
whisper, "Liar," and say goodbye,
leaving the demon behind and forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!