“She went down fine, no protests,” I tell Stephen. But
minutes later, cries break through the quiet. Not so fine after all. After
waiting a few minutes to see if the cries subside, I finally decide to go and
check on her—just this once—to see if she is okay. I could leave her alone, and
some nights I do, but tonight I cannot resist her calls. I enter the darkened
room and find her sitting up, looking forlorn, cheeks wet with tears, chest
heaving with little sobs. Her arms rise instantly at the sight of me, and how
can I resist such an invitation? I sweep her up, head to shoulder, heart to
heart, rubbing her back and humming softly.
“Shhh, shh,” I whisper, touching the silky softness of her hair. “Mommy loves you. It’s okay.”
More than okay. For here, in this moment, mother and daughter, I feel my purpose. Love wells up within me, spills out like so much water from a gushing stream. Here, in this moment, I want to freeze time, savor the feel of small fingers touching mine, tiny legs wrapped tightly around me.
I want to remember her always like this, arms stretched up, eyes on me alone.
“Shhh, shh,” I whisper, touching the silky softness of her hair. “Mommy loves you. It’s okay.”
More than okay. For here, in this moment, mother and daughter, I feel my purpose. Love wells up within me, spills out like so much water from a gushing stream. Here, in this moment, I want to freeze time, savor the feel of small fingers touching mine, tiny legs wrapped tightly around me.
I want to remember her always like this, arms stretched up, eyes on me alone.
So beautiful. And I love that I know exactly what you mean now, since having Milo. Charlotte is lucky to have you. :)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. That totally just made me cry a little. :)
ReplyDeleteThis was so beautiful. I'd like to write it in my journal. It makes me think of my little man! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI love moments like those, lovely post!
ReplyDeleteRenee
Oh this brought tears to my eyes and gave me goosebumps! I miss my "baby" being this little. He's 13 now - they grow up way too fast!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. We did the same with Mark last night. Sometimes I can let it go... but last night he needed us. And it only took about 10 minutes to get him back down... Glad we did too, b/c this morning he woke up with a fever.
ReplyDelete