Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

The day is almost over, but I was able to snatch a few minutes to write a post.  It would be a shame to have spent a whole month on gratitude and yet not write an entry on the very day of Thanskgiving.

Last Thanksgiving, I was still recovering from a week in the hospital and grappling with my new ulcerative colitis diagnosis. Having been sicker than I had ever been in my life, I was filled with gratitude to simply be alive. This is not to say that I truly felt I was going to die when I was in the hospital, but there may have been a few points where I thought death may have been preferable. But the Lord, in His mercy, saw fit to bring me through that time, and even now I cannot think of that time without being overwhelmed with thankfulness that my life, while completely changed by my diagnosis, is still my life, and it is in the ever-capable, ever-trustworthy hands of God.

Today, I am thankful that I am healthier now than I was a year ago. I am thankful that I have not seen the inside of a hospital all year. I am thankful that I have wonderful health insurance. I am thankful that I got to spend the day with my amazing husband, precious daughter, and wonderful in-laws. I am thankful that I live in a country where I am free to worship Jesus, free to speak and sing His praises whenever I desire. I am free to read His Word and have free access to it. I do not have to live in fear of persecution.

I lead a truly blessed life, and I pray that on days that I feel discontent or wish for something more that I would remember all that God has given and stop and dwell on the goodness of the Lord.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends. May you know the peace and love of Christ.

1 comment:

  1. Your attitude is beautiful, Erin. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    It's getting better for me. Thank you for the kind thoughts, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!