Friday, May 10, 2013

Five Minute Friday: For My Mom

Five Minute Friday 

I'm linking up with Lisa-Jo Baker and Five Minute Friday, when you take just five minutes and write on the week's word. No editing, no backtracking. Just write. This week's word: COMFORT.

GO...

It was my first semester of graduate school, and I was miserable.

Classes were harder than I was expecting, I was still trying to make friends, and the two people I knew when I moved to Knoxville were dating each other. I debated dropping out of grad school on a weekly basis that first semester, and it all came to a head one night in October. I called my mom, barely able to talk because I was crying so hard. I told her all my woes, and she listened with her always-sympathetic ears. After the conversation ended, I went to sleep, not knowing that on the other end of the state she was already making plans.

The next morning, she called to tell me that she was on her way to see me. My sweet mom, who works full time and loves her weekend time, left Memphis at 7:45 am so she could come and see me. She told me it was her only choice--she couldn't NOT be there for me. So she crossed the state in 5 and a half hours and showed up at my front door. Never was there a more welcome sight--the sight of home, of love, of understanding, of compassion, of sympathy, of kindness. When she came, I had all the comfort I needed, all in the form of a hug from my mom.

Though I was 24 years old at the time, I was reminded anew of this truth: you are never too old to need your mom. That day, she gave me just what I needed.

I love you, Mom. I pray that I can be the same kind of mom to Charlotte that you are to me.

STOP

Mom and me on my first Mother's Day, 2011


If you decide to join in, let me know so I can read your post!

2 comments:

  1. I'm here from Lisa-Jo's Erin. This is such a moving tribute to your Mom. Do you know - I'm a grandmother and still find that same comfort in my own Mom. It is such a blessing to simply be the child no matter how old we get.
    Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll never forget how my mom cancelled her plane tickets home to stay with me after zuzu was born, after i called her crying telling her i just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!