Friday, March 22, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Remember (To Charlotte)

Five Minute Friday

It's time for another Five Minute Friday! I fully intended to blog more this week, but it didn't happen. And how I wanted to edit this week, friends! But here it is, my five minutes on the word of the week: remember.

GO


Sweet child of mine, now that you are two I find myself looking back, remembering those early days with you. The memories already aren't as clear as they once were, and so I must commit them to permanence with these feeble words. When I held you in my arms that first time, in the early morning hours of March 4, your tiny body felt light, almost nothing, and yet the weight of what I was becoming—mother--was heavy upon me. Though I had longed to be your mother, waited years and those anxious nine months, that moment when I held you surprised me. I did not feel immediately transformed. I did not feel suddenly graced with wisdom. But oh, how I felt love! How I felt amazed at the wonder and love of God, smiling down on me through your little face.

In the weeks that would come, weeks of little sleep and lots of crying (on both our parts!), I spent more time questioning than trusting, more time worried than at peace, and I wish I could take it all back and do it all over. I would tell myself to soak in those early moments, frustrating and difficult and exhausting as they were, and I would tell myself that it does get better. That even though motherhood did not come to me all at once in a blaze of glory, it has come in quieter ways, in quieter moments: in the stillness of having your head snuggled up near mine, of hearing your breath mingle with mine, of feeling your hands lovingly touch mine. Being your mother has been the hardest thing I have ever done, but oh, how thankful I am for the hard things, for in them I find out who I truly am. WHOSE I truly am. And when you are older and welcoming your first little one, I pray that knowledge finds you as well. 

STOP


11 comments:

  1. 'I did not feel immediately transformed. I did not feel suddenly graced with wisdom. - yes! Can utterly relate to this, wondefrul post

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautifully written. this made me cry, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realy enjoy reading mother's words to their children. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the part about how in the hard things, we find out who we truly are! Lovely piece of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED, loved, loved this. Amazing writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious words and memories, your words strongly evoked that feeling of holding your baby for the first time, and how we loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww! This is beautiful! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - this: " I did not feel immediately transformed. I did not feel suddenly graced with wisdom. But oh, how I felt love!" LOVE this... lived this... on some days - I live it still! (Thanks for your sweet comment today too - and your prayers!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing. I loved your honesty and I could relate to my first daughter's birth. Now she is almost 5! The second and third time around, I was better able to soak in those new moments. Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful! Children sure do shape us, grow us, and even change us.

    Janelle Marie
    www.gracecalling.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was EXACTLY the same with my first. She also was in the hospital for the first week AND we closed on our first home (on the day she was born!) I had a lot of tears, too. And wish I could go back to do it over again with the knowledge I have now. Parenting IS so very hard, but so rewarding too.

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!