Monday, February 4, 2013

Charlotte at 23 Months

I can't believe my last Charlotte update was 4 months ago! I also can't believe we've had the privilege of seeing this sweet face for 23 whole months:


Charlotte is a busy girl these days. She loves roaming around the house, exploring and getting into everything she's not supposed to. Her favorite things to play with are basically things that are not actually toys, such as pens, paper clips, my contact case, our phones, remotes, etc. She also loves to color, although most of the time it seems that she enjoys putting the crayons in and out of the bag and watching Stephen or me draw more than she enjoys drawing herself. A few weeks ago I saw a picture that someone had posted on facebook of their child using finger paints in the tub, which I thought was a great way to contain a pretty messy activity, so that very week I got out the finger paints we bought Charlotte for Christmas and let her paint the bathtub. She had a blast, and it's now a weekly activity. The paint is washable, so it comes off very easily, and Charlotte loves to mix all the colors together.



One of the cutest things about this age is how much Charlotte loves to talk. It seems as though overnight Charlotte's vocabulary exploded, and she can now form 2- and 3-word sentences, her favorite of which is "I did it." She's very proud of anything she is able to do on her own and often says, "I do it" or "I got it" to let us know that she wants to try something. Some mornings when we go into her room, she starts talking before we even pick her up, and she continues to chatter away as we change her diaper and get her ready for the day. It's easier to understand her than it was a few months ago, but we still find ourselves saying to each other, "What is she saying?" fairly often. We're teaching her how to say "please" and "thank you," and while most of the time we have to prompt her to say these, she has said "thank you" to me spontaneously several times recently and in the right context, which gives me hope that she is learning what the words actually mean.

Music is still one of Charlotte's favorite things, and she can sometimes be very selective about what music she wants to hear. Depending on her mood, not just any song will do, and she will keep saying "no" until we find the song she wants to her. Some of her favorites include "My God Is So Big," "The Lord's Army," and "Somebody That I Used to Know" (yes, the one by Gotye). She also has started singing along to some songs, like "Jesus Loves Me" and "God Is So Good," and she came home from daycare one day recently singing "Happy Birthday" because one of her classmates had a birthday that day.That night at bedtime she wanted to sing "Happy Birthday" to herself, to Bailey, to Stephen, and to me.  I love hearing her little voice and hope that she grows up wanting to sing in choirs at church.

Playing at the park

Speaking of bedtime, Charlotte continues to be a rock star when it comes to sleeping (with the exception of last night, when she woke up crying around 8:00-something and didn't go back to sleep until after 10:00). Most nights she is in bed by 6:30, if not a little earlier, and she rarely puts up a fight. She usually sleeps until 6:30 or 7:00 and will nap for 1.5 to 2 hours at daycare during the day , but we hardly ever get her to nap that much for us on the weekends.

We had been dreading weaning Charlotte of her pacifier but were determined to try when she turned 2, but she weaned herself! One night about three weeks ago Stephen asked her if she wanted to throw her paci away (thinking she had no real desire or intention of doing so), and she said "Yes" and marched right over to the trash can and threw it away! We were completely flabbergasted and thought for sure she would want it back at bedtime, but bedtime came and she went down fine without. We decided then and there that there was no going back and that even if she got upset and asked for it again, we weren't going back. I just knew we'd be facing some long nights over the next few days, but Charlotte proved us completely wrong and has done a FABULOUS job of sleeping without her pacifier. She didn't have a single bad night after she gave up the pacifier, and we are so incredibly grateful and are also completely aware of the fact that we really had nothing to do with this success, haha.

Having a toddler in the house is never dull, and we are so blessed by our sweet girl. She makes us laugh on a daily basis, and even though she has her share of tantrums and bad moods, we wouldn't trade her for anything. We love you to the moon and back, Charlotte!


I love how she is looking at Stephen in this picture. She is such a Daddy's girl!

Daddy makes the best jungle gym.

3 comments:

  1. what a sweet girl! and i love that finger painting idea, i will have to try that with zu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute! I can't believe she'll be 2 next month! I still remember your pregnancy updates very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The picture at the park is my FAVORITE!!! Hey, apparently, I did the same thing and just stopped using my paci one day...apparently I was addicted to it before then too...hoping E decides to do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!