Friday, October 19, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Look

 

I haven't participated in Five Minute Friday for a while, but this week's word immediately grabbed me. In case you don't know, Five Minute Friday is hosted by Lisa-Jo Baker, and all you do is take 5 minutes and write on the word of the week. Five minutes-no editing, no second-guessing. Just writing. Here's my five minutes on this week's word: look.  

* * * *

As I drove home from work for lunch just minutes ago, my mind was in a fog. It’s been a hard week. I haven’t felt well or slept all that well, and I have thoughts weighing me down, threatening to steal my joy. I have prayed more than once that the Lord would show Himself to me, that I would know He is here with me. 

With my attention minimally focused on the road, the landmarks passed by in a blur. I rounded a bend in the road, and then all of a sudden my vision was confronted with a shock of red, yellow, and orange in vibrant display, tucked in the midst of green. The beauty of it caused me to inhale sharply, and I wanted to stop my car and look, just feast my eyes on the splendor that I wasn’t even looking for but that had found me. I let the image of those autumnal hues dance before my eyes long after I had left the real thing behind, and it brought a smile to my lips and prayer of gratitude from my heart.

It’s almost as though the Lord was reaching down to whisper in my ear and saying, “Keep looking, dear one. Sometimes joy is right around the corner.”

May the Lord grant me vision that allows me to truly see Him, to truly know Him. Always.

5 comments:

  1. You're such a great writer, Erin! Love this line: "The beauty of it caused me to inhale sharply, and I wanted to stop my car and look, just feast my eyes on the splendor that I wasn’t even looking for but that had found me." It's like poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi erin, i'm your neighbor today:) loved your post. i think we have bumped into each other before. your story sounds familiar. loved seeing your little girl. glad to meet you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the things we'll see when we truly look! Love it when God gives us these gifts :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful post erin--i feel like this too sometimes, so focused on thoughts and worries that i don't notice God's grandeur

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!