Friday, January 20, 2012

Four Years

January 21, 2008. That was the day I decided to change my life. I was fat and not happy about it, and I was tired of just accepting it. I had told myself in the past that I was just meant to be fat since I'd spent most of my life that way, but I knew that wasn't true. The only way I would be destined to be fat forever is if I chose it. On January 21, 2008, I chose NOT to be fat forever. I made a list of reasons why I needed to change, and I made a plan of attack. Slowly but surely, changes started happening. I woke up early and went to the gym. I joined SparkPeople and began tracking my calories. It was tough, it was frustrating, it was challenging, but I kept doing it. I'm STILL doing it.  Four years later, here's where I am and where I hope to be (all of the links are to past blog posts):

1.  I went from only being able to do about 10 minutes on the elliptical to being able to run a 5k. I've run in 3 5k races and one 4 miler. I even trained for (but didn't complete) a half marathon, working my way up to 11 miles.  I hope to achieve the goal of running a half marathon this year.

2.  I went from 261 pounds to 180 pounds. I briefly dipped down to 167 right before I got pregnant with Charlotte, and I will get back there again. I hope to eventually weigh between 155 and 160 pounds.

3.  I went from a size 24 to a size 16. I was a 14 before I got pregnant with Charlotte. I hope to end up a size 12.

 (Pictures taken Thursday night in my size 24 jeans. My face is beet red because I had just finished a workout my 261 pound self would have never attempted: a 2 mile run followed by Level 1 of 30 Day Shred.)

4.  I went from a 49-inch waist (!) to a 36.5-inch waist.

5.  I went from an XXL t-shirt to a large. I bet I will be able to wear a medium soon.

6.  I have made drinking at least 64 ounces of water a daily habit.

7.  I have made exercising a weekly habit. Some weeks are better than others, but aside from right after I had Charlotte, there have been very few weeks when I haven't exercised at all.

8.  I have learned (and some days am still learning) to feel more comfortable in my own skin and appreciate even my least favorite features, like my flabby arms.

9.  I have tried different types of exercise that I never would have tried before, including yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, and Zumba.

10.  I actually had enough guts to post my weight on the  Internet.

11.  I have learned that even skinny people have problems. Being skinny does not guarantee a problem-free existence.

12.  I have learned that being healthy is about more than being skinny.

13.  I have learned that the things worth working for are often the hardest.

14.  I learned how to lift weights and even got used to being the only female in the weights section of the gym.

15.  Most important of all, I have learned that all of this is worthless if I do not honor the Lord. I have made food an idol in my life, and at times I have even made weight loss an idol, and if I let those things become an obsession and do not chase after Jesus, then it's all in vain. He must be everything.

Of course I wish I could write this post from the perspective of someone who's been at goal weight for a year or two, but that's someone else's story, not mine. My story isn't going to end up in a magazine. I'm not going to be on TV because of my amazing weight loss accomplishments. But that doesn't change the fact that I have lost 81 pounds.  That doesn't change the fact that I am a far different person today than I was four years ago. And that's worth more than a spot on a TV show or magazine.

9 comments:

  1. wow! you have achieved so much, definitely somethingm to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, Erin! What an inspiring summary of all the changes you have made, goals you have completed, and obstacles you have tackled!
    I am confidant you will get to your final goal!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Erin! You have accomplished so much already and I'm sure you will meet even more goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great accomplishments, Erin! Your so right in feeling comfortable in your own skin. Something I'm trying to work on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! That is so awesome! I share a lot of your struggles and it's nice to know another mama is in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I never would have thought you were a 14 when you got pregnant. I would have guessed 8 or 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Casie! You just made my WEEK. But sadly I am terribly thick-waisted and even when I lose weight, it's really hard for me to lose inches around my waist. I don't have any hope of being an 8 or 10. It's incredibly frustrating!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!