Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Scale Hiatus: An Update

It has been 22 days since I last weighed myself. (For the record, I haven't been keeping a daily count. I just counted up the days for this post.)

To be honest, I don't think this experiment is going very well. That whole healthy habits checklist I created? Haven't looked at it on most days. I also haven't been exercising regularly, nor have I been tracking my food. I have done pretty well getting enough water and fiber, but those were things I was already doing on a regular basis. Most mornings I remember to eat fruit, but I haven't done as well at lunch and dinner.

And to be honest, the degree to which I feel bad about this lack of success varies on a daily basis. I have enjoyed not weighing in. I have enjoyed not being obsessed with all things healthy. But I haven't enjoyed feeling like I am fat and always will be. I haven't enjoyed thinking about the fact that I will be 30 next month and would like some new clothes, but I don't want to buy them from the plus size section.

Am I healthier than I was 4 years ago? Without a doubt. But am I healthier than I was one or two years ago? Definitely not. Apparently unless I am weighing myself or obsessing, I do a really lousy job of being healthy. So what do I do? I have no idea. I kind of want to weigh myself to give myself a good kick in the pants, but I don't know if that would motivate me or just depress me.

For today, I'm just trying to get all of the things on my checklist checked off. Fruit with breakfast and veggies with lunch. Lots of water and fiber. Logging my calories.

Tomorrow I'll do the same. And maybe, hopefully, somehow, the healthy habits will actually become just that--HABITS, and not something I have to always think about.

To weigh or not to weigh? That is the question.

2 comments:

  1. Currently, I am eating reese's pieces...no lunch or breakfast...just because I wanted to eat these. Sad existence, huh? :)

    I vote NOT to weigh...I'd rather weigh once I get to the size of clothing I am comfortable in and the size I am happy with...scales just go up and down and tick me off! :)

    Keep up your good work...you motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am RIGHT.THERE.WITH.YOU. My family members kid me about being obsessed (and I am obsessed with all things food and exercise) but I truly believe that you kind of have to be obsessed to be successful. At least until the habits are so firmly ingrained that they are second nature - especially given my background in self-destructive eating AND that dreaded all-or-nothing attitude I have had about my health.

    The all-or-nothing is what I am struggling with now. How much of my life and myself am I willing to devote to my healthy journey. I am spending about 2 hours a day thinking about my meals, logging my food, and working out. You become what it is that you do. . . and I have so many other things I could devote that 2 hours a day to. Can I be moderately interested in my health and have it work for me? I just don't know. For now I am not sure I want to chance it.

    Just thought I'd tell you that I feel the same way! It doesn't surprise me because I do think we are a lot alike. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am honored that you took the time to stop by my blog. I read and appreciate all comments, so tell me what you think!